Did you know that your skin naturally secretes sebum (oil) which both lubricates it and protects it from the elements? This sebum (along with the very top layer of the dermis) is the natural defense system of your skin. This protective barrier can be easily depleted and broken down by the elements, including harsh weather, wind, and exposure to ultra-violet light.
Environmental stressors such as smoke, pollution, frequent washing and touching, over-scrubbing, harsh products, as well as dehydration and poor diet choices, are other contributors.
The good news is that there 10 simple things that we can do each day that help our skin to replenish and maintain its protective barrier.
1. Drink plenty of water.Add another 16oz for every cup of coffee you drink.
2. Eat colourful foods.Leafy greens, fruits and vegetables of all types contain powerful actives that your skin needs to be healthy.
3. Eat healthy fats.Foods likeavocado, extra-virgin olive oil, nuts and seeds, real grass-fed butter or ghee, and organic flaxseed oil (just to name a few) are high in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins, and other healthful compounds that support the healing and strengthening of our skin.
4. Wear a natural sunscreen every day.We need sunlight on our bodies, but it can be easy to get too much sun and trigger the aging process.
5. Apply healing oils before bedtime.At night, your skin goes into repair mode. Our Face Serums have all been formulated with natural botanicals that nourish and repair the skin while you sleep.
6. Avoid over-cleansing and over-exfoliating your skin.Treat your skin gently. Don't pull it, pick at it, or scratch at it. Polish it gently as needed to remove dullness and reveal fresh, youthful skin, no more than twice a week.
7. Cleanse with natural oils. Natural oils closely resemble the skin's natural sebum and will completely transform your skin. Read more about the power of cleansing with oil on our blog.
8. Avoid exposure to cigarette smoke. Studies have shown that cigarette smoke decreases blood flow to the skin, thins the skin, and causes premature ageing.
9. Get outside and be active.Do whatever you enjoy most. Activity will increase circulation and oxygenation which contributes to that healthy glow we all want.
10. Enjoy dark chocolate!Dark chocolate is a powerful anti-oxidant and has been shown to help your skin repair itself and protect itself from UV damage. How sweet is that?
Ever wonder how apple cider is made? It’s actually quite simple. The process starts by adding crushed apples (cider) to yeast, which will ferment the sugars, turning them into an...Read More
Make Your Own Spruce Tip Tea Sometimes a good cup o’ tea is all you need. Look beyond the tea cupboard to the trees in your backyard. Spruce needles make...Read More
Your hands. They type, cook, drive, create, work, serve and clean. They encourage through touch, comfort and calm, they massage away pain and tend to bruises. Your hands are an...Read More