Winter brings frosty temperatures, dry air, and harsh winds, which means caring for your skin has never been so important. Or challenging.
Here, Rocky’s Owner Karina shares her trusted skin care tips to ensure your skin is feeling soft, moisturized, protected all winter long.
How can I protect my skin during the harsh winter months?
Drink plenty of water. Add another 16oz for every cup of coffee you drink.
- Eat healthy fats. Foods like avocado, extra-virgin olive oil, nuts & seeds, flaxseed oil are high in healthy fats, antioxidants, and vitamins that support the healing and strengthening of skin.
Cover up. Layer on the moisturizers, but also keep your skin covered when you go outside to keep it protected from the moisture-zapping elements.
Choose the right products. Our skin is already stressed during the winter, so choosing products rich in natural moisturizers and free of chemicals will prevent further irritation of the skin.
What are the best products to use on my dry winter skin?
- Choose soap and cleansers free of chemical detergents, such as sulfates. They only exacerbate dry skin and make it feel worse.
- Opt for products full of rich, natural oils (coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter, avocado) because they will cleanse, repair, and protect your skin during the dry winter months.
- Try using an oil to cleanse your face - it sounds a bit out there to a lot of people, but when used as a cleanser, plant oils they dissolve dirt and makeup residue. Cleansing oil absorbs quickly and easily into our skin and leaves a breathable layer of moisture and protection, which is especially helpful in the winter months.
- Gentle exfoliators like our French Lavender Sugar Scrub or Aloe Vera Smoothing Face Polish will help remove dry, dead skin from your face and body.
- Extra-rich body products, such as Body Butters, add a dose of protection and moisture to the skin. Body Lotions are great for less-dry skin, but add a butter to take your regime to the next level. For the face, try a hydrating Facial Serum at night to add extra nutrients for repairing dry and thirsty skin.
What should my new winter skin care ritual look like, for my face and body?
- Start by cleansing with an all-natural cleanser or oil.
- Exfoliate gently, no more than twice a week, to remove dry, dead skin
- Moisturize as usual, and add extra rich products such as body butters and facial serums to give your skin added protection during the day, and to help it repair overnight.
Feeling all cleansed, exfoliated and buttered up? Us too. Bring on the snow!