Why We Committed to 100% Natural

November 19, 2009

Our old school Rocky fans will remember our popular vanilla products.  We had a body butter and a bar soap that were star performers.  When we found out that the vanilla extract we had sourced was only 99.99% natural.  This sparked the debate that ended when we made the commitment to produce only 100% natural products. We stopped making the vanilla products, even though they were best sellers, and many customers were disappointed at their discontinuation.

Our logic was this:  What was to differentiate us from the other nearly-natural products on the market if we didn’t commit wholly to being 100% natural?  There is much noise in the marketplace about ‘all-natural’, ‘organic’, ‘naturally-derived’, and ‘botanically-based’ which, lets face it, live in a huge gray area and don’t really mean anything specific.  Even something that is labeled as organic only has to use 95% organic ingredients, the other 5% could be any synthetic chemical they want it to be. 100% Natural was as specific as we could get.  We defined what 100% natural means to us on our website for those who need more details, since all kinds of sustainability and nature-identical questions could arise from this.

What are your thoughts on this debate?  Is it important to you that your personal care products are 100% natural?  Why or why not?



Also in Blog

Tackling Body Odour in Teens
Tackling Body Odour in Teens

February 14, 2018

Puberty is TOUGH. Remember when you were an awkward string bean?! Body parts would grow overnight, unwanted hairs would sprout in places they didn’t before and a new funky odour...

Read More
A Complete list of Vegan Rocky Products
A Complete list of Vegan Rocky Products

February 06, 2018

We know that becoming vegan was an immensely important decision to you and that it is not always a walk in the park when it comes to shopping, whether it...

Read More
Long Live Love Letters
Long Live Love Letters

February 05, 2018

Free printable card below.Modern day 'love letters' come in all forms. These days a 'love letter' might be a heartfelt text, a puppy video sent to cheer your up, an...

Read More
DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner
DIY Yoga Mat Cleaner

January 31, 2018

Yoga is extremely accessible to all shapes, sizes, ages and abilities – almost anyone can participate because modifications are always available to those that need them. As a result, yoga...

Read More