Benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil
You may be familiar with Lemongrass as the secret ingredient providing that zesty lemon flavour to your favourite Thai dish. But you may not be familiar with all the other wonderful healing properties found in Lemongrass oil that make it truly essential.
Lemongrass is an herb native to India and Sri Lanka. It is characterized by tall striped leaves and jagged edges. The oil is extracted from the leaves of the plant in it's purest form, resulting in a strong, fresh, lemony, and earthy scent. It is stimulating, relaxing, soothing, and balancing. We could all use more of that, right?
The compounds that make up Lemongrass essential oil are known to several benefits for naturally healthy skin:
- Vitamin-rich: Lemongrass essential oil is a source of essential vitamins such as vitamin A, B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, folate and vitamin C. It also provides essential minerals such as magnesium, phosphorous, manganese, copper, potassium, calcium, zinc and iron. Yes, all of these are jam packed into this beautiful oil and help support beautiful skin.
- Anti-bacterial: Lemongrass is well-known as both an anti-microbial and anti-bacterial herb. This means it will help limit bacterial or microbial growth on your skin, warding off skin infections caused by bacterial infections, like folliculitis and cellulitis.
- Fungicidal: Lemongrass Oil has good fungicidal properties and may be used to remedy fungal infections, like athlete's foot.
- Astringent: As an effective astringent, Lemongrass helps to minimize pores, limit the secretions of oil (great for those of us with oily skin), and tighten skin.
- Anti-inflammatory: According to a 2005 study, Lemongrass Oil is one of the top six essential oils with anti-inflammatory properties, helping to reduce the pain and inflammation that can sometimes lead to chronic disease.