Essential oils may have the ability to affect everyone differently depending on your health, dosage, frequency and underlying sensitivities. Allergies can also develop at any time. During pregnancy, approach essential oils with some caution, and always diluted. Listen to your body’s reactions, patch test new products before full body application and consult a health professional as needed. Although most of our products are made using a low concentration of essential oils, we still err on the side of caution, as skin sensitivities can change during a pregnancy.
The leading experts in Essential Oil Safety state that: “only massive quantities of relatively toxic essential oils (none that we use) are documented to be able to induce abortion. Almost all alleged emmenagogic or uterine stimulant essential oils are not documented (have no basis) to have such an effect or if they do it is not powerful enough to cause miscarriage” (Tisserand & Young, 2014 ).
For ALL leave-on products (not rinsed off, as with soaps) you should consult your health care provider. Some products may be best used after the first trimester, such as bath salts, bath bomb, body and massage oils if used in high frequency. Generally Regarded as Safe During Pregnancy: (when diluted) Amyris, Bergamot, Blood Orange, Cardamom, Chamomile (German), Coriander, Elemi, Eucalyptus, Fir, Frankincense, Geranium, Grapefruit, Lavender, Lemon, Lime, Mandarin-Red, Neroli, Palmarosa, Patchouli, Rosewood, Sandalwood, Sweet Orange, Tangerine, Tea-Tree, Ylang Ylang.
Essential Oils (that Rocky products may contain), to avoid completely:
Anise (Star), Aniseed, Sweet Birch, Camphor, Carrot Seed, Cinnamon Bark, Cypress (blue), Sweet Fennel, Hyssop, Lavender (Spanish), Myrrh, Oregano, Sage, Wintergreen.
Essential Oils to use infrequently:
Lemongrass, Lemon balm (Melissa).
Most products we sell are considered safe for use during pregnancy and lactation, with a few exceptions below:
1. Leave-on products with cinnamon bark essential oil
2. Hydrating outdoor spray and butter
3. Men’s Line scent (deodorant and body wash)
4. Kid’s Line products – body wash, shampoo, conditioner, bubble bath and lip butter
5. Lemongrass body butter
6. Cuticle butter
7. Diffuser oils for inhalation* – Vitality blend *Any diffused essential oil or blend provides direct access of the oils into your body via your respiratory system. Please consult a certified aromatherapist or health provider as needed for appropriate dosing of any diffused oil, and listen to your body’s reaction. If diffusing oils around infants and young children, refer to the guidelines for each product individually and consult your health care professional.